Pages

A helping hand for the blind

TMM,Tuesday 21 February 2012 

I first tried foot reflexology, 18 years ago. I recall the pain was bearable but after treatment, I felt like I was walking on air. I was hooked and went back regularly to a centre operated by the blind at the Sungei Wang shopping centre in Kuala Lumpur. 

Foot reflexology is based on the belief that the condition of our body is reflected at various points of our feet and massage can rub away some of the ailments. 

Skilled practitioners are uncannily accurate in their assessment and it was always interesting to hear what they have to say about my condition. 

Initially, I allowed whoever was free to attend to me. Later, I noticed that one of the masseurs was far superior to the rest. I began to request for Hasan and became his regular customer. 

After 10 years, my visits tapered off when I grew weary of the heavy traffic in the Bukit Bintang area. I then tried a large number of reflexology centres which have mushroomed throughout the country, but few were good enough to warrant a return visit. 

Recently, I visited Hasan who was still operating at the same shopping centre. We reconnected like old friends. After a few deft touches, he could tell I am no longer as robust as before. 

Eighteen years ago, he was a bachelor today a father of five. He still charges the same but I noticed that his centre is no longer busy. It saddened me when I realised that his income has dropped while his expenses kept growing. His eldest is now 12. 

He has remained adept at his practice and should have enjoyed an increase in earnings over the years. As I have attended basic courses in reflexology and shiatsu, I can vouch that Hasan is among the best in his trade. 

I feel that interested citizens should not be barred from operating reflexology centres or work as masseurs, there should be more control over foreigners who do the same. 

Over the years, large number of trainees have benefited from courses conducted by the Malaysian Association for the Blind. If they are not gainfully employed, many would be forced to the streets to beg. 

Those concerned can help in many ways. Apart from word of mouth and posting reviews online, the various social media can also be used to spread the word. We should be more active in recommending local masseurs. 

Hasan, 41, is visually impaired and speaks good English. Those who know him well would be proud to call him a friend. 

A little help from us can go a long way to help those who eke out an honest living, albeit legally or totally blind. 

Some virtually live from hand to mouth which is best described in Malay as kais pagi makan pagi, kais petang makan petang. 



YS Chan 

Kuala Lumpur 



No comments:

Post a Comment